Friday, May 6, 2011

No fighting at Kungfu Ramen

I'm a peace maker, not a fighter. I'll avoid confrontation if possible and even let others get their way if it's something not so consequential to me. If someone picks my choice on the menu, I'll change my order with the full intention of sampling both dishes.

I'm a little confused because 'Kungfu' is Chinese yet 'ramen' is Japanese. Maybe 'ramen' just rolls off the tongue easier than 'lai mein' which would be the Chinese for pulled or stretched noodles. But what's in a name when you're hungry? I'm not going to argue.

Kungfu ramen (without the beef) from Kungfu Ramen, Thomas Street, Haymarket
There are two outlets of Kungfu Ramen within rather close proximity to each other in Chinatown, both promising fresh pulled noodles. The namesake dish of Kungfu Ramen is the easy menu choice, and it doesn't take long to appear steaming before me.

The thin white noodles are quite unlike Japanese ramen, but with a level of al dente mamma would be pleased with. The broth is topped with a slick of chilli oil and chopped coriander for a pretty tri-colour bowl.

Beef for the Kungfu ramen
The beef comes separate to the noodle and soup, looking a little worse for wear as a consequence. It's sliced nice and thin, and the visible tendons give some indication that it should be a tender, tasty part of the cow.

Kungfu ramen
Submerged in the hot soup, the beef takes on flavour and moisture to be the highlight of the dish. Note that one should eat these noodles without hesitation and as quickly as respectably possible as they readily take in the soup. In my slow eating case, they were unfortunately soggy before I got to the end.

Barbeque chicken wings
I've got a thing for chicken wings and I'm pretty glad to have ordered these, which are spiced with cumin and grilled over direct heat for great colour and a bit of char.

The smokey flavour goes well with the spice heat, and it's a shame that there are only two a serve. Ten would be more like it. Ten would stop the fighting over the last piece. I might put up a fight for a chicken wing.

Kungfu Ramen on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, the name makes it sound dodgy, or at least not authentic.

Jasmin said...

I asked about the name and the waitress informed me that these are Chinese style Ramen - rather than Japanese style Ramen, obviously meaning that they are the Chinese style of pulled noodles. I think it may have been a familiarity thing?

When we've been in, our beef has been in the Ramen already, which was surprising. Not everyone gets it the same way.

The beef stew ramen and the lamb kebabs are must tries as well. Should you ever return.

Great photos.

Apple said...

I love chicken wings and those look delicious.
I'll have to check out this ramen place next time I'm in the city, their broth looks really flavoursome!

chopinandmysaucepan said...

The kunfu ramen looks good and the beef is crying out for a dipping sauce. Was there one? I think something like XO chilli and soy would be great!

Richard Elliot said...

I've had a couple of visits to the different Menya restaurants recently. Kung Fu Ramen was next on my list.

Hopeflly I'll get there soon!

Mel said...

I'm obsessed with chicken wings at the moment after visiting Crazy Wing in Melbourne a few weeks ago...massive cravings now after seeing your post.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I didn't realise that they had chicken wings along with ramen. OK I'm there! :P

Tina said...

Hi lateraleating - Yes, kung fu and food aren't really natural partners - or are they? :)

Hi Jasmin - Thanks. I figured it was Chinese 'lai mein' :)

Hi Ringo-chan - Just don't expect Japanese style!

Hi chopinandmysaucepan - No sauce. The idea was to sink it into the broth.

Hi Richard - I'm the other way around. I haven't been to Menya (other than Mappen).

Hi Miss Piggy - I've always loved chicken wings :D

Hi Lorraine - And yummy spicy wings at that!

Khanh Ho said...

FYI: Ramen--to the Western eye--appears to be Japanese. But to the Japanese sensibility, it is slightly exotic--a borrowing from China that has been domesticated: like pizza in the United States.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...